Snow Leopard: how to play MKV with Perian and QuickTime X

Snow Leopard: how to play MKV with Perian and QuickTime X

Today I was fixing more issues with my Snow Leopard, and today I have found about this little piece of software, just 12kb, that will make you able to use Perian 1.1.4 (the MKV decoder for QuickTime 7) with QuickTime X.

A note before beginning: you can still have QuickTime 7 on Snow Leopard, you have to insert the Snow Leopard DVD, enter the folder for optional installations and start the installation for optional applications. Then, there, select QuickTime 7 and install it.

Back to QuickTime X. The use is very simple:

1. Download it (it’s just 12kb)
  2. Extract it
  3. Place the file into the Applications folder
  4. Open your MKV file with this app

You can download it directly from here: Plugin for Perian and QT-X (47390)

I’m sorry that I don’t know whom to give credits.

38 Responses to “Snow Leopard: how to play MKV with Perian and QuickTime X”

1. Ben Cordes says:

As an editor for the all-encompassing reviews website (we-rate-stuff.com), I’d love to review your software plug-in. One quick question: Is there a way to disable subtitles while playing a Matroska file? Upon installing and restarting, the option to uncheck subtitles is grayed out, but the checkmark still appears. Is this a bug or a solvable issue? Please get back to me at your earliest convenience.

Thanks,
    - Ben

Ben Cordes
    editor / we-rate-stuff.com
    email: btcordes@gmail.com
    phone: 813.541.9201

2. Henry says:

Or when you drag the file onto the QuickTime dock icon, hold CMD to force QuickTime to open the file.

3. Nomad says:

Hey, I’m highly suspicious of this file. I downloaded it, successfully opened an MKV file, but now whenever I have an MKV file opened (or even selected with my mouse), my computer starts uploading data at 2mb/s.

So, what is my computer uploading?
    Where is it uploading it to?

I don’t trust this file at all.

I am not getting the same. I have the firewall on and it never asked for network access.

Do you even have the Snow Leopard firewall on?

• Nomad says:

I did some testing, and this seemed to help:

1) Firewall was turned on, and the upload continued.

2) I run my media files off of an NAS; for whatever reason, when I copy the files to my MacBook Pro, the upload stops.

So, I’m assuming that the “problem” resides in the NAS set up.

4. Dave says:

Anyone else having trouble playing mkv’s with multiple audio streams? I get this error message
    “The movie “3/2+1” can’t be opened.”

5. mike says:

I’ve heard there are some wildlife groups trying to get Apple to do more stuff with the actual S.L.’s lol. I don’t know- people are saying it’s good PR for Apple- they should jump on that.

• Motaro says:

Perian new version came out just go to the website the auto updater doesn’t work!!!

6. Max says:

This program is just an Applescript that opens the file in Quicktime.
    You might as well drop the movie on the Quicktime icon in the Dock.
    Or you could just change the “Open with:” info so all .mkv files open in Quicktime and you can double click them.