Miscellaneous > Games etc.

[Official] (Revamped) Compiled Visual Novel Thread

(1/10) > >>

Kageryuu:
Explanation: Decided to make a new compiled visual novel thread. Please click the link if you don't know what a visual novel is.

Important
For now I just made a list of all visual novels I could remember now. I'll write up the rundowns for all the visual novels during the next days and update this post. If someone wants to help with this you're more than welcome. Just post your impression on the respective VNs and I'll edit it in. You should make it more detailed than just "this one's good" or "this one sucks" though, statements like these don't help.

The same goes if you want to introduce visual novels that are not yet covered. Every new entry is aprpeciated, but please try to give a short rundown on it.

For now I distinguished between "normal" visual novels, those that feature catgirls and/or doggirls (felt that deserves an own category :>), strategy game VNs, and (S)RPG VNs. I also made an own category for KEY's visual novels.
Since there's quite some VNs that have both strategic and RPG elements I've listed some in both categories, but I'll present those visual novels only once.

I've linked every VN to it's page on the visual novel database (where available).
Most visual novels introduced here have English patches, but there's a few that don't. I'll point that out at the respective VNs.

I'll point out for each visual novel whether it's 18+ or not. A lot of visual novels are available as both all ages and 18+ versions, I'll point that out in the relevant cases.

"Normal" visual novels:

Spoiler for Hiden: Ai Yori Aoshi: Related to the anime and manga series. Contains two stories, South Island and Winter Lake. Has several short minigames. If you like the series go for it, if not let it be. It's nothing special but not bad either. All ages.

Cat Girl Alliance: H-game. Don't be fooled by the name, it has nothing to do with catgirls (I only saw the name, got it, and was pretty shocked at what I got). Seems to involve stuff like bondage and futanari. Officially translated. 18+

Cinders: Spoiler for Hiden: A (western) Visual Novel inspired by the old fairytale of Cinderella. From what I saw so far it has absolutely gorgeous art and music, and the story sounds interesting to say the least. Made by MoaCube, a "small collective of indie game developers".

Cinders Trailer

Will be released this year, shouldn't be too long now since preorders are already open.
I really like to see that there are more and more western visual novels coming up that are different to the Japanese ones, but equally entertaining.
Chaos;Head: Very good VN with several ups and downs. Pretty unique system for your decision, you have to choose between positive- and negative delusions, or no delusion at all (usually). Depending on this you more or less lose your grasp on reality, resulting in varying endings. Has no real routes for the different girls. No h-content. Completely (fan-) translated.

Fate/stay night: TYPE MOONs masterpiece. Awesome story, artwork and characters. Has three routes which have to be completed in order. Completely (fan-) translated. Available both as an all-ages- and an 18+ version.

Fate/hollow Ataraxia: Plays a few months after Fate/stay night and has most of the crew from it. Like a part 2 and at least as awesome.

Katawa Shoujo:

Majikoi
(Maji de Watashi ni Koishinasai!)

Muv-Luv Alternative: The "sequel" to Muv-Luv Unlimited and Extra. This takes on the much darker themes of Unlimited and expands them even further than anyone could have thought possible. You will actually face the BETA a lot, and you will never grow tired of facing them. It is incredibly long, so buckle up.
(by courtesy of dr. pepper)

Saya no Uta: Horror VN. After an accident that almost claims his life, Fuminori's perception of the world becomes distorted. Everything around him becomes blood and guts, sound becomes distorted, food becomes foul, and people become monsters - except one little girl by the name of Saya. This is a very short VN with three endings.
(by courtesy of Darais)

Sekien no Inganock -What a Beautiful People-: Sci-Fi/Drama visual novel. One of the most awesome VNs I played so far. Atmosphere and arts are very unique. Most of it is voiced. Got a linear plot, only decisions you make are to prevent a gameover at the end of most chapters. Very interesting characters and an extremely captivating story.

Shikkoku no Sharnoth -What a Beautiful Tomorrow-: Part of the same series as Sekien no Inganock. There's a third one too, but it isn't translated yet. Didn't play this yet, but seems to be in a similar style as Inganock, just that it plays in the very early 20th century England. Oh, and the protagonist is Agatha Christie. Yepp. 18+

Shuffle!: Typical school comedy harem VN with a fantasy touch. Nice graphics and a good story, but one of the few cases where I liked the anime better than the visual novel. There's some background info they left out in the anime though, and it was still a nice, albeit short. Different routes for the girls, one of which has to be unlocked. Officially translated. 18+

Symphonic Rain: Music themed visual novel with some rhytm - minigames. All ages.
Spoiler for Hiden: Story (from vndb, for those who are too lazy to click the link):
Spoiler for Hiden: Symphonic Rain takes place in a fictional city of apparently Italian heritage, where rain falls everyday. The locals there have adapted to this peculiar phenomenon, and carry on with their lives as if the rain was never there. No one takes an umbrella, no one wears a rain coat.

The main character of the story is 17 year old Chris, a Fortelle student of the famous Piova Communal School of Music (Scuola Comunale di Musica Piova, in Italian). Separated from his childhood sweetheart Arietta when he left his home town for the city, he keeps in touch with her through the means of weekly letters. Penning their thoughts on those letters, Chris treasures and keeps her weekly writings, for he had promised her that should his drawer becomes totally filled with them, he would return to her.

The game starts during Chris's third year as a student, a few months before he has to take the school's final graduation examination: a staged performance. As an instrumentalist, he is required to search for a vocalist partner before he is eligible for the examination.

[From Wikipedia]

Beside the adventure parts that makes most of the game, Symphonic Rain includes musical sequences. In which the player is required to press keys on the keyboard in correct timing to accompany the current song. These sequences can be turned to automatic if the player doesn't wish to participate.
Description:
Spoiler for Hiden: There's several very different heroines, you've got to complete the routes before you get to the second part of the game, in which the story behind everything is told in all it's grandness and drama. After this you can finaly get on the route for the true ending, making for a total of 6 good endings and 3 different bad endings.
There's several rhythm minigames in which you play your instrument by pressing the shown letters at the right time. (this shows an example on hard: Spoiler for Hiden: ). These minigames sometimes have to be solved with a certain accuracy in order to advance the story. There's 3 different difficulties, and if you absolutely don't want to do it yourselves you can set these to autoplay. There's a total of 5 different songs to play, depending on the route you're on one will be the main piece.

My impressions:
Spoiler for Hiden: Let's start with the points I didn't like. First of all there's the dead eyes each and every of the characters has. This greatly disturbed me at first, but I very quickly got used to it.
Second is, that most of the good endings left somewhat of a bad aftertaste for me, for one reason or another. Not that there's anything negative to say about the different stories or the way those develop, but I would have wished for a "happier" ending sometimes.
One more, albeit small, point would be the somewhat simple way in which you decide on which route you go. But then again it does its job well enough.
And that's already it with the negative points, really isn't anything big.

The stories are great, both in quality and in the way they develop and are presented (even if Fal's and Liesel's didn't have too much to do with the main story, which makes sense in hindsight though). It's pretty emotional, and definitely not a happy-go-lucky game, even if it has some funny and lighthearted moments. I actually shed some tears on the final route, on several occsions. And especially this final route is among the best I've ever read, with how the whole story of the earlier endings builds up towards this true ending.

The rhythm games: Well, I liked them. For those who don't there's the autoplay function in the settings. The difficulties are okay I'd say, apart from Fal's I got all the songs done on normal after one or two tries, and even that one I managed after a while. Hard is hard, but with a bit of effort doable as well. Helps if you can touch-type though...
There's also Free-Play in which you can just select any song from the game you want to play.

Speaking of the music, the songs are really awesome. I got the soundtrack right after I finished the game. And the songs really fit the respective characters and their routes. Apart from the story the music really is something that sets Symphonic Rain apart from other, similar VNs.

So, to sum it up: Great story, great characters, more on the drama side, music environment, great songs, and a rhythm minigame as a bonus.

Also, no h-contents, even if it's implied on one route.
Tayutama - Kiss on my Deity

Tayutama - It's Happy Days

The Devil on a G-String
(G-senjou no Maou):  Exciting VN with a few choices, each leading to lengthy bad ends or equally or more lengthy good ends for each route. The main route is exceptionally longer than the others and throws in quite a few plot twists. It's an emotional rollercoaster as a high-ranking mafia member and an unofficial crack detective fall in love and take down a criminal mastermind.
(by courtesy of dr. pepper)

Visual novels featuring mimikko (catgirls, doggirls, and more than just a single heroine with such a feature):
Spoiler for Hiden: Let's Meow Meow
(Minna de Nyan Nyan)

Neko Kawaigari! ~Klein Inuneko Byouin Shinsatsuchuu~

Pure Pure The Story of Ears and Tails
(Pure Pure Mimi to Shippo no Monogatari)

Wanko to Kurasou: H-game featuring catgirls and doggirls. Very nice and cute artwork, very good story, loads of h-scenes. Seriously, considering the many, many h-scenes the story is awesome. Got two different endings. Obviously 18+. Completely (fan-) translated.
Also has the Scizzer Seal of Approval.

Wanko to Lily

Yaminabe Aries - Tail Tale:Pretty old visual novel starring furries, but still has some really beautiful artwork. The story and characters are both very well done. Part of a series of visual novels, this part is the only one that is translated. 18+

Visual novels by KEY:

Spoiler for Hiden: ONE - To the radiant season :
(One - Kagayaku Kisetsu e) Made by those who later formed KEY, very similar to these games. Has different routes for the girls. Graphics are pretty old. Story is pretty good, and while the routes are nice and varying for the girls, they get repetitive in regards to the protagonists. Completely (fan-) translated. Available only as 18+ edition (as far as I know).

AIR: One of KEYs older works. Graphics are a little aged, but still nice. Several "chapters that have to be played one after another. Available both as an all-ages- and an 18+ version. Voice patch available. Fantranslation only about halfways done and was abandoned after an inquiry from Visual Arts (as far as I know).

Kanon: One of KEYs older works. Art is a bit aged, but has a very good story. Has different routes for each girl. Available both as an all-ages- and an 18+ version. Voice patch available. Completely (fan-)translated.

Clannad: One of KEYs works. Awesome story, nice graphics, an absolute top-title. Divided into different routes, later on an Afterstory is unlocked. All ages. Voice patch available. Completely (fan-) translated.

Tomoyo After ~It's a Wonderful Life~: Sequel to Clannad, with a focus an Tomoyo. Includes an RPG minigame called "Dungeons and Takafumis". Available both as an all-ages- and an 18+ version.. Fantranslation is well on it's way, there's a 35% patch out so far, then the project was dropped and picked up by another group.

Planetarian: A Kinetic Novel by KEY. No choices or interaction, but has a very nice artwork and story. A version with voiced characters exists. Completely (fan-) translated. All ages.

Little Busters: Another one of KEYs awesome VNs. Very nice artwork, good and touching stories. Includes several minigames like baseball and a fighting game. Has different routes for the girls, later on a "true" ending is unlocked. Very touching. Available both as an all-ages- and an 18+ version. Fantranslation is completed for the standeard edition, EX/ME editions will be next.

Kud Wafter: Sequel to Little Busters!, focusing on Noumi Kudryavka. Has close to no other characters from LB! apart from Riki and Kud. Only as 18+ version available (so far).
As far as I know there's no group working on an English patch so far.

Rewrite

Edit: Got over the character limit, so strategy and RPG visual novels will be in my next post now.

Eos:
I have yet to see Clannad. I heard it is very sad.

Xamdiz:
Sweet, I've been wondering for a while whether I should play Koihime Musou or not. Since you recommend it, I know it wouldn't be bad.

Ikaros CORE:
Nothing by Overdrive on your list? I thought their works were pretty good.

dr. pepper:
The exclusion of The Devil on a G-String and Muv-Luv makes this a very unfinished list.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version